Today is Halloween! Most likely one of the best holidays because you can dress up and be someone totally different from who you are. (Those are the pumpkins my dad and I carved!) This year I went as Decora, which is a Japanese street fashion. Decora girls wear 20-30 hair clips in their hair and wear tons of layers and cute characters! I wore two tutus, 22 hair clips, a Tokidoki shirt, mismatched knee high socks, 5 necklaces, black Converse, 18 bracelets, and stickers on my face! Go Google it, so you can see what I mean! Anyways, my theme was pink and black with tons of Hello Kitty! I went trick or treating with my buds Val, Sophie, and Aadil. Val went as a zombie fairy and Sophie went as a stereotypical person from the 80's. Meanwhile Aaadil went as someone from Jabbawockeez. Aadil wanted to go into the Haunted house, but Val, Sophie, and I were too afraid. Sort of like how Dimtri was too much of a party pooper to join us! Anyways, Happy Halloween!
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Thursday, October 29, 2009
SUPER LONG POST! ARE YOU READY FOR IT?
So I saw Andrew McMahon for the second time on October 27, 2009. When am I going to stop obsessing over Andrew? Not soon. For everyone, there is one band that they just adore for their whole lives. For my mom, it's Bruce Springsteen. For my dad, it's Phantom of the Opera. For me, it's Andrew McMahon. This concert was amazing. I was told that Andrew was only going to play for 1 hour, but he played for around 2 hours straight! Here's what he sang:
- Hammers and Strings (JM)
- Dark Blue (JM)
- As You Sleep (SC)
- Crashing (JM)
- Holiday From Real (JM)
- Annie Use Your Telescope (JM)
- The Resolution (JM)
- She Paints Me Blue (SC)
- Spinning (JM)
- Walking By (SC)
- Just Like a Women (Bob Dylan)
- Olive (Bikelock)
- 21 and Invincible (SC)
- La La Lie (JM)
- The Mixed Tape (JM)
- Moon River (Andy Williams)
- Bruised (JM.One of Andrew's favorite songs from the Everything in Transit record)
- There There Katie (JM)
- Punk Rock Princess (SC)
- Swim (JM)
- The Astronaut (SC)
- Bloodshot (JM)
In the very beginning of the concert Andrew was holding up signs that said, "HI I'M ANDREW. NO REQUESTS! REQUESTS ARE FOR KARAOKE BARS!" I laughed at it and so did everyone else. I was super excited that Andrew played "As You Sleep" because it was the first song I ever heard by him and it's my favorite song in the world. Andrew was talking about how he came up with some of his songs and "Holiday From Real" is about Venice Beach, while "Annie Use Your Telescope" is about one time when he was stranded in an Australian airport. The story behind "She Paints Me Blue" is really funny. It's about when he moved out of his house at 18 and how he bought his bed at IKEA. Then he went and bought a blue light bulb, which he always wanted, but the light bulb gave off about as much light as a night light. So Andrew spent 6 months of his life in a poorly lit apartment. This was all part of his "hippie phase", but now Andrew jokes around and says he's in his "grandpa stage" because he grew a beard. At that moment, the guitarist, Bob Anderson said, "Hey, you have a beard, since when?" "For awhile now," replied Andrew. Before Andrew started to sing "Walking By", he explained that "Walking By" was written to swoon a girl and it was a quick addition to Audioboxer. The girl he wrote it for ended up marrying him. Halfway through "Walking By", Andrew stops and says, "Oh my God. I forgot to mention this, but this was the stage I first played "Walking By" on!" Then he restarted the song. After that, he sang his favorite Bob Dylan song and then Bob sang a song from his side band, Bikelock. Then he sang "21 and Invincible" which he wrote because his eldest brother one day just looked at him and said, "Dude, Andrew, why you gotta sit like a girl?" Andrew then set off for the garage and sulked. (One line in the song says, "No one makes fun of me, 'cause I cross my legs like a girl.")After that, he sang "The Mixed Tape" and instead of singing "Where are you now?", he sang "Where is Bob now?" Bob replied with "I'm right here!" It was really funny. He then did a cover of "Moon River", which he sings just to defame someone. The story is he told a girl he wanted to sing "Moon River" at a concert and she told him it's way out of his range, which he thought was rude. At that moment all these ideas go through his head. He wanted to push her down and have Bob pour beer on her, but Andrew refrained himself. His encore started with "There, There Katie", which is about his sister Katie. Katie was in the audience, so Andrew said, "I didn't have time to practice this Katie, so if I mess up, don't kill me!" Oh yeah, during one of his songs, he was all like, "Has anyone ever burped into the microphone like I just did? I'm ashamed of myself; it's really quite disgusting."
I should probably end this post because I need to go do homework. I have like 4 hours ahead of me. Aren't I lucky?
Anyways, it was a wonderful night and everything went smoothly. I bought an Andrew McMahon shirt and poster. When I was in the bathroom, I heard someone say they had backstage passes. I wish they took me with them! Oh yeah, throughout the concert, my stuffy nose was ticking me off. And for everyone out there, I have two goals in life. 1. Meet Andrew McMahon! 2. Go through a metal detector and get stopped because of my braces! Good bye everyone.
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Going a bit off topic, but here are some cool facts about the Burj Al Arab Hotel. It's the most luxurious hotel in the world and has 7 stars! (Keep in mind that the Waldorf Astoria only has 4 stars!) There's a plasma screen TV and a jacuzzi in each room! Also, there's butlers on duty 24/7! The Burj Al Arab Hotel is the second tallest building that is used exclusively as a hotel in the world. Some people say that the inside is so incredibly overdone that it becomes tacky, but to me, I would go just because the exterior is so breathtaking.
Anyways, here are the rest of my photos from the day:
Monday, October 5, 2009
Everyday at lunch, my friends and I share random useless facts with each other. I like hearing random facts and here are some of the weirdest:
1. A coconut farmer makes an average of $600 a year.
2. The youngest person to get pregnant, Lina Medina, was 5 years old at the time she got pregnant.
3. Lina Medina started to get her period at the age of 8 months.
4. Armadillos are the only other animals other than humans that can get leprosy.
5. Marilyn Monroe is the once removed 9th cousin of Senator John Forbes Kerry.
6. Marilyn Monroe is the twice removed 9th cousin of President George W. Bush.
7. My math teacher is the 9th cousin of George W. Bush.
8. Coco Chanel was the first person to make mixing faux and real jewelry together fashionable.
9. You have to use butter, not margarine, in your cookies, otherwise they will not become round.
10. In a hundred million years, our garbage landfills will be oil reserves.
11. Polar Bears have black skin and they're racially accepted by everyone.
12. The Muse Resistance album comes out on 9/15/09.
13. The Great Wall can be seen in space.
14. The Deadly Curse on Egyptian Tombs is often tuberculosis.
15. President Clinton donated his used underwear and wrote it off his taxes as a charitable donation. The amount was $5 per pair.
16. Avocado is one of the most oily foods.
17. Presidential candidate, John Edwards, tried to convince an aid to claim the aid was the father of Edward's illegitimate child.
18. Saffron is the most expensive per pound known to man.
19. Saffron becomes bitter if you boil it for too long.
20. Your tongue can only taste sweet, salty, sour, and bitter.
21. Complex tastes come from your sense of smell.
22. Most Korean female stars have had plastic surgery.
23. It is illegal for you to sell alcohol on a Sunday in Massachusetts.
24. It is illegal for you to put pennies in your ear in Hawaii.
25. If you go to a Super Junior concert, it is high unlikely that you'll get to see all 13 in concert.26. If you lick a banana slug, your tongue becomes temporarily paralyzed.
Most of these facts are from my friends: Sueji, Madeline, Sarah, Rebecca, and Sophie.
Saturday, October 3, 2009
Thursday, October 1, 2009
"Last Straw" by Jack's Mannequin (Picture to the left)
"Despite the Distance" by The Hand Me Down Kids (Can't get it out of my head)
"I'm On The Football Team" by The All American Rejects (From their first album called "Same Girl, New Songs". I still want to buy the album from someone!)
"Konstantine" by Something Corporate (REALLY PRETTY SONG!)
2. The Hello Kitty "I love nerds" collection. It's Hello Kitty with too big nerd glasses with tape on the bridge. I have two shirts and a key chain from the collection. My friend, Tiffany, has hair clips, a bag, and a pin from the collection. After all, what's better than a geeky Hello Kitty? It's like the Bill Gates of Hello Kitty's. (Bill Gates pwns, just for the record!)
3. Mustache with a Mustache. I drew it all over one of my history workbooks. It's just awesome. I bet you have never seen a mustache with a mustache before. It's two handlebar mustache beauties in one and you know you're jealous of it. You know it.
4. This dish my dad gets from the Korean Grocer called tai gu or something along those lines. It's spicy and sweet squid strips. It's like candy, only it's spicy and it's squid.